ARTICLE EIGHT: ENDORSEMENTS
The Committee may, by majority vote of members present and voting, decide to convene an endorsement vote meeting for Democratic candidates for public office or for ballot initiatives. An endorsement vote meeting for candidates shall, with certain exceptions noted in C below, follow a public Candidates’ Forum.
A) Candidate Endorsements
1. After voting to convene an endorsement vote meeting, the Committee shall notify its members of the date, time, site, and agenda of the Candidates’ Forum and endorsement vote. Such notice shall be sent at least 21 calendar days in advance of the meetings.
2. At its scheduled monthly meeting prior to the Forum, the Committee shall provide its members adequate time for a full discussion of the qualifications of the candidates eligible for endorsement.
3. At the Forum, the candidates shall have the opportunity to discuss their positions and respond to questions.
4. Following the Forum, the Committee shall convene the Endorsement Vote meeting.
5. Endorsed candidates shall be notified orally forthwith and in writing within 7 calendar days.
B) Endorsement Vote Meeting
1. Candidates listed on the official election ballot are automatically nominated for endorsement consideration. Individuals not listed on the official ballot may be nominated. Such nominations require a 2/3 vote of members present and voting to be included in the endorsement vote process. Statements on their behalf are limited to 2 minutes. A motion to close nominations requires a majority vote of members present and voting.
2. After nominations are closed, voting shall begin without delay.
3. Members may only cast a number of votes equal to the number of elected positions open.
4. To be endorsed, a candidate must receive 2/3 of the votes cast by the members present and voting.
5. Balloting for an office ends when one of the following occurs:
a. a motion to continue balloting fails.
b. no candidate for an office is endorsed after two successive ballots produce no endorsement; or
c. the number of endorsed candidates equals the number of positions open for endorsement.
C) Exceptions for Primary and General Election Endorsements:
– for special election candidates
– for unopposed candidates
– for statewide and national candidates
1. The Committee may, by a 2/3 vote of members present and voting, waive one or more of the following endorsement vote requirements:
a. holding a monthly meeting prior to an endorsement vote to discuss the candidate(s) eligible for endorsement;
b. holding a Candidates’ Forum prior to an endorsement vote;
c. notifying its members no less than 21 calendar days before the Endorsement Vote meeting;
d. providing time for the candidate(s) to discuss their positions and answer questions prior to the Endorsement Vote meeting.
2. Committee members must be given no less than 7 calendar days notice of the Endorsement Vote meeting date, time, site and agenda.
|Final Adopted By-laws Enacted September 2012 of the Ward 19 Jamaica Plain – Roslindale Democratic Committee||Page – 11 – of 14|
D) Endorsement Vote for Ballot Initiatives:
The Committee may, by majority vote of members present and voting, decide to convene an Endorsement Vote meeting on a ballot initiative provided it does not conflict with the platforms of the National or State Democratic Party platforms.
- After deciding to convene an Endorsement Vote meeting, the Committee shall notify its members of the meeting date, time, site and agenda at least 7 calendar days before the meeting.
- The Endorsement Vote meeting shall provide its members adequate time for a full discussion of the ballot initiative.
- Following the discussion, the Committee members shall vote on the ballot initiative.
- To be endorsed a ballot initiative needs approval of 2/3 of the members present and voting.
- The appropriate individual shall be notified orally forthwith and in writing of an endorsed ballot initiative with 7 calendar days.
E) “No Endorsement” Vote
A “No Endorsement vote” cast is counted in the number of those present to determine the 2/3 threshold.
An “abstention” declaration is not counted in the number of those present to determine the 2/3 threshold.
|Final Adopted By-laws Enacted September 2012 of the Ward 19 Jamaica Plain – Roslindale Democratic Committee||Page – 12 – of 14|