The Boston City Council Committee on Redistricting is currently undergoing the decennial process of reviewing and redrawing the 9 City Council district boundaries according to 2020 Census redistricting data. New district boundaries will be in effect for the 2023-2031 municipal elections until redrawn in 2032 following the 2030 Census. Community engagement and public participation are essential to a redistricting process that strengthens our local democracy and is reflective of the communities officials are elected to represent.
The Committee will hold a public hearing this Thursday, September 29, 2022 from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM in the City Council’s Iannella Chamber on the 5th floor of Boston City Hall (www.boston.gov/public-notices/15922436). There will be options to participate in-person or virtually, as well as to submit comments separate from the hearing.
As Chair of the Committee on Redistricting, I want to emphasize that the Committee does not have a proposed map at this time, and this hearing is dedicated to discussing community priorities, values, and guidelines (see Docket #1098, Order for the adoption of City Council redistricting principles). Public testimony received will inform the drafting of a proposed district plan, which will then be followed by an extensive public comment and review period prior to final passage.
The criteria and additional common considerations for drawing districts include:
- Compliance with the Voting Rights Act
- Racial and language minority protections and voting strength
- Equal population across districts (“One Person, One Vote”)
- Review of demographic data by race, ethnicity, and voting age
- Compact districts with contiguous boundaries
- Preservation of neighborhoods and communities of interest
- Analysis of population change and projected growth
- Encouraging competitive districts
Please do not hesitate to contact my office should you have any questions regarding the redistricting process. I appreciate any assistance toward ensuring that all of our communities’ voices are engaged in this process.